If you’re looking for a convenient, nutritious and safe way to feed your furry friend, then you’ve come to the right place. Freeze-dried raw dog food has become increasingly popular among pet owners in recent years, and for good reason. This type of food is made by removing the moisture from fresh, raw ingredients, which locks in the nutrients and flavor.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take a look at the benefits of a freeze-dried diet, and help you choose the best freeze-dried dog food available on the market. Whether you’re looking for a high-protein diet, a grain-free option or something in between, we’ve got you covered.
- Primal Pet Foods Freeze-Dried Nuggets – Our Pick
- Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Dinner Patties – Runner Up
- Grandma Lucy’s Moxie Chicken Recipe – High Protein
- Stella & Chewy’s Puppy Dinner Patties – Best Puppy
- Sojos Complete Turkey & Salmon Recipe Senior – Best Senior
What is Freeze Dried Dog Food?
Freeze dried dog food is a type of dry food that is made by removing all the moisture from fresh ingredients. This process helps to preserve the nutrients and flavor of the food, while also making it convenient and easy to store. Freeze dried dog food is typically made from high-quality ingredients, such as meat, fruits, and vegetables, and is designed to provide dogs with a balanced and complete diet.
If you’d rather feed your pup something wet or dry, check out our article on Wet vs. Dry Dog Food for more information!
The Benefits of Freeze-Dried Dog Food
There are many benefits of feeding your dog freeze-dried food. One of the main benefits is that it’s incredibly convenient and easy to store. Unlike traditional raw diets, freeze-dried dog food doesn’t require any refrigeration, so you can keep it in your pantry for months.
Another benefit is that freeze-dried raw food is loaded with essential nutrients. Raw food is a natural, species-appropriate diet for dogs, and it contains all the nutrients they need to thrive. When the food is freeze-dried, it locks in these essential nutrients, so your dog can still get all the benefits even if you can’t feed them fresh food every day.
- Convenience: Freeze dried dog food is easy to store and does not require refrigeration, making it a convenient option for pet owners who are on-the-go.
- Nutritional Value: Freeze drying helps to preserve the nutrients and flavor of the food, ensuring that your dog gets a nutritious and delicious meal.
- Versatility: Freeze dried dog food can be used as a complete meal, or as a supplement to your dog’s regular diet.
- Long Shelf Life: Freeze drying helps to extend the shelf life of the food, making it a great option for pet owners who want to stock up on food for their dog.
Choosing the Best Freeze-Dried Dog Food
When it comes to choosing the best freeze-dried dog food, there are a few key factors to consider. First, you want to look for a food that’s made with high-quality ingredients. This means that the food should be made with fresh, human-grade meat and vegetables, and it should be free from fillers, preservatives, and artificial additives.
Another important factor to consider is protein content. Dogs are carnivores, so they need a high-protein diet to thrive. When choosing a freeze-dried dog food, look for a product that contains at least 35-40% protein.
Finally, it’s important to consider any dietary restrictions your dog may have. For example, if your dog has grain allergies, then you’ll want to look for a grain-free option. If they have any other allergies or sensitivities, make sure to check the ingredient list carefully to make sure that the food you choose is appropriate for their needs.
Make sure you look out for these key factors:
- Ingredient Quality: Look for freeze dried dog food that is made from high-quality ingredients, such as meat, fruits, and vegetables. Avoid foods that contain artificial preservatives, fillers, or by-products.
- Nutritional Value: Make sure the food provides a balanced and complete diet for your dog. Look for a food that meets the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) standards for dog food.
- Flavor: Choose a food that your dog will enjoy eating. Some freeze dried dog food options are available in different flavors, so try to find one that your dog likes.
- Price: Freeze dried dog food can be more expensive than traditional dry food, but it is worth the investment for the added benefits.
Our Top Picks for the Best Freeze-Dried Dog Foods
Based on the factors mentioned above, here are our top picks for the best freeze-dried dog foods available on the market:
- First 5 ingredients: Beef Hearts, Beef Livers, Ground Beef Bones, Organic Carrots, Organic Squash
- Crude Protein: 34%
- Crude Fat: 36%
- Rating: 4.4/5
Primal Pet Foods is a trusted brand in the pet food industry, and their freeze-dried nuggets are a great option for pet owners who want high-quality, convenient food for their dogs. These nuggets are made with human-grade meat, vegetables, and fruit, and they’re free from fillers, preservatives, and artificial additives.
The number of real ingredients in this food is the driving reason behind Primal Nuggets being our top pick. It’s quite a short ingredient list for a dog food but it’s packed with nutrients. There’s plenty of organic fruits and vegetables combined with beef, liver, and beef bone. This will all help your dog’s digestive health along with providing an important source of protein, vitamins that will help with eyesight, and nutrients to strengthen bones and muscle.
Additionally, it contains fish oil providing important omega fatty acids for skin and coat health. The inclusion of montmorillonite clay is meant to prevent the food from getting clumpy and too wet/dry. It is a natural group of minerals and replaces man-made chemicals which serve the same purpose.
- First 5 ingredients: Beef, Beef Liver, Beef Kidney, Beef Heart, Beef Tripe
- Crude Protein: 44%
- Crude Fat: 35%
- Rating: 4.6/5
Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Dinner Patties are another great option for pet owners looking for a high-quality, convenient food for their dogs. These patties are made with 95% meat, organs, and bone, and they’re free from grain, gluten, and additives.
With a protein content of over 40%, these patties are an excellent source of nutrients for dogs who need a high-protein diet. Again, this food boasts an impressive list of organic ingredients, however, they also supplement a lot of vitamins and minerals. Although this is not a bad thing, we prefer the natural ingredient list of Primal.
With either option, your furry friend will be getting a long list of important nutrients that will keep them in tip top health.
- First 5 ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Gizzards, Sunflower Seeds, Squash
- Crude Protein: 52%
- Crude Fat: 32%
- Rating: 4.0/5
Grandma Lucy’s Artisan Chicken Recipe is a great option for pet owners who want a freeze-dried food that’s easy to prepare. This food is made with human-grade chicken, and it’s free from fillers, preservatives, and artificial additives.
With a protein content of around 50%, this food provides a great diet for incredibly active dogs. The ingredient list is even shorter than the Primal Nuggets, and is meant to simulate what might be more of a natural diet for your dog. If they have any food sensitivities, this might be a good option as there are not a ton of ingredients.
Because the protein and fat content are so high, this is a great option if you have a super active breed. The food is jam packed with superfoods which will help their digestive health on top of providing them enough calories to support their lifestyle.
- First 5 ingredients: Chicken, Salmon With Ground Bone, Chicken Liver, Chicken Gizzard, Pumpkin Seed
- Crude Protein: 48%
- Crude Fat: 27.5%
- Rating: 4.7/5
Stella & Chewy’s Puppy Dinner Patties are a great option for new puppy owners. Made with cage-free chicken, organs, and bones, this freeze-dried food provides a balanced diet for growing puppies. It also provides plenty of natural superfoods which will increase your puppies overall health.
It’s also free from antibiotics, hormones, and artificial preservatives, making it a safe and healthy choice for your new furry friend. With a protein content of around 50%, this food is an excellent source of nutrients for growing puppies.
Stella and Chewy’s also boasts salmon as one of the primary ingredients. This addition is key in a food meant for puppies as it will ensure the development of a silky smooth coat along with healthy skin.
- First 5 ingredients: Turkey, Sweet Potatoes, Cranberries, Flaxseed, Whole Egg
- Crude Protein: 26%
- Crude Fat: 12%
- Rating: 4.1/5
Primal Pet Foods Senior Formula is a great option for pet owners who have an aging dog. This freeze-dried food is made with cage-free turkey, organs, and bones, and it’s free from antibiotics, hormones, and artificial preservatives.
With a lower protein content of around 26%, this food provides a balanced diet for senior dogs who may have trouble digesting a high-protein diet. This formula also contains added glucosamine and chondroitin to support joint health, making it a great choice for older dogs with joint problems. Additionally, it has DHA which will help your dog have healthy brain function.
Freeze-dried raw dog food is an excellent option for pet owners who want to feed their dogs a nutritious, convenient and safe diet. With a wide range of options available on the market, it’s easy to find a food that’s perfect for your dog’s needs. Whether you’re looking for a high-protein diet, a grain-free option or something in between, there’s a freeze-dried raw food that’s right for your dog. Just remember to choose a food that’s made with high-quality ingredients, has an appropriate protein content, and is free from fillers, preservatives, and artificial additives.