Choosing the Best Flea Collar
Fleas are the worst. And choosing the best flea collar is your most cost-effective line of defense against these annoying insects!
I learned a valuable lesson about fleas when a mama raccoon had babies in our heating vent – which blew fleas through our heater all over the house. Every one of us was miserable! Preventing fleas is an absolute must when it comes to dog ownership. And flea collars are the easiest and cheapest way to manage the problem. You also get the benefit of preventing ticks. I exhaustively researched the topic to help you learn about flea collars so you can make the best decision.
If you are the “let’s get to the point” type of person – the best flea collar is the Bayer Seresto for dogs over 18lbs. For smaller dogs and puppies, my first choice is this Bayer Seresto. You should also look at the best flea shampoos for dogs.
How Do Flea Collars Work?
There are two types of flea collars – a “kill the flea” type and a “repel the flea” type. I think the best flea collar kills the fleas. Let me explain….
The “repel the flea” variety emits a smell/gas/odor that the fleas do not like. They are very effective, especially in the area around the collar. For this type, the flea collar is less effective further away from the collar.
The “kill the flea” is absorbed into the dogs’ skin. Then, when the dog is bitten by the flea, it dies. While the dog will get bitten, the fleas will not reproduce, which is what causes the major problems. These collars have a major advantage because there is no safe zone for the fleas. Even at the very end of the tail, the fleas will die once they bite the skin.
Please do not use a flea collar on your dog if you are treating them with a topical or oral flea treatment! This can harm the dog!
Do Flea Collars Actually Work?
Absolutely, the better flea collars are extremely safe and very effective at preventing fleas. In recent years, many people have switched over to spot skin treatments or oral pills to prevent fleas. These are also good options, but the are expensive. On the other hand, there are flea collars. They are extremely easy to use and less expensive than other flea prevention options. If you are trying to save money, flea collars are absolutely the best option.
Just make sure you pick a good collar and you will be happy with the results.
What Do You Need In A Flea Collar?
Honestly, there are way too many flea collars to choose from. There are four key factors that you really need to consider. Most of the other factors are fairly similar among the varying brands of flea collars.
What is the active ingredient? There are a few I would recommend staying away from. The first one is Propoxur. This is not safe for human handling, and I, therefore, recommend avoiding it. The other is Tetrachlorvinphos . This is a known carcinogen, and should be avoided.
Odor or Odorless? You want to make sure you do not smell the collar. This will quickly cause you to go nuts. In my home, we have a zero tolerance for the smell in flea collars, I recommend you do the same.
Waterproof. If you want the best flea collar, you want a waterproof flea collar. Things happen and dogs get wet. There is no sense buying a collar that is affected by water.
Effectiveness. This may seem obvious, but there are many collars that are getting terrible reviews from consumers. While I prefer Natural products, the reality is that they are less effective. This is especially true for larger dogs. The natural collars leave their backside fairly unprotected.
Can My Dog Swim and Bath with a Flea Collar?
Most flea and tick collars are water resistant or water repellent. I personally recommend taking them off for baths especially. If your dog loves to swim, I also recommend pulling it off. The water-resistant collars are really designed for an occasional rain shower while out on a walk.
Can My Dog Sleep in Bed While Wearing the Flea Collar?
No. Your dog should not be sleeping in bed with you while wearing this collar. Almost every one of these collars recommends against it, and I do as well. This brings up another issue, which is, “should your dog be sleeping in your bed?” If you are having any behavior problems, I highly recommend against this.
The Best Flea Collars
1. Lordddon flea and tick prevention collar
- PREVENT ALLERGIC REACTIONS ON YOUR PET'S SKIN: With saw-like teeth to keep it in place, the dog flea collar is sturdy and long-lasting. The natural formula of the flea collar for dogs makes it completely safe for your pet. With active ingredients that spread using the dog's natural skin oils, the dog flea and tick collar will keep away harmful insects.
- ENSURE YOUR DOG'S COMFORT AND HEALTH: Designed to fit cats and dogs of all sizes, the flea medicine for cats and dogs will save them from itchiness and severe scratching. Wearing the LORDDDON preventative tick collar, you lower the risk of your pet developing bad rashes which can lead to various infections and diseases.
- PROTECT YOUR HOME FROM INFESTATION: The tick collar for dogs and cats will stop the flea and tick invasion your dog may bring into your house. The flea and tick prevention for cats will keep your dogs and cats healthy and stop fleas from getting inside your home, on your furniture, and in your bedding.
- 8 MONTHS OF 24/7 PROTECTION AGAINST PESTS: Easy to apply, the 8-month flea collar for dogs will repel and kill fleas, ticks and other insects on contact. Quite effective and cleverly-designed, the LORDDDON flea tick collar constantly releases its active ingredients. Water resistant, your pet can safely enjoy his bathtime play.
- ADJUST THE LENGTH IN NO TIME: A one-size fits all, cut to size large dog flea collar, you can easily trim the excess off. The flea collar for dogs will fit dogs ranging in size from small puppies 7 weeks old to larger dog breeds and cats. Ideal for growing pets, you only need to check the puppy flea collar periodically and adjust the fitting.
This is an all natural collar that has been very successful in repelling fleas and ticks. The active ingredient is 15% citronella, so this is a completely safe product.
For the first week or so, you will notice a fairly strong citronella smell. But it fades after about a week. The collar is durable, effective, safe, and inexpensive. This is a great choice.
2. The Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar
- Provides 8-months of continuous flea and tick prevention
- Seresto flea and tick collar for large dogs works through contact, so fleas and ticks do not have to bite your dog to die
- Veterinarian-recommended flea and tick prevention for dogs in a convenient, odorless and non-greasy collar; No need for messy monthly treatments
- Starts to repel and kill fleas within 24 hours of initial application
- Flea and tick collar for large dogs also helps treat and control sarcoptic mange and kills lice
I rate the Bayer Seresto as one of best dog collar for large dogs. If you have a puppy, then I recommend the Bayer Seresto puppy collar. It is well built, long lasting, and water resistant. This collar actually kills and repels fleas. This is the feature that I like most. You can spare your dog the pain of flea bites with the repellent, but also know that anything that breaks through the first barrier will be killed.
I especially like that the collar will last for a full 8 months, helping to offset the higher price. The active ingredient is considered to be safe for almost every dog. The collar releases the active ingredients in very low doses over a long period of time.
I would recommend caution if you have an elderly dog or one that is extremely sensitive.
3. The Best Flea Collar for Dogs – Rolf Club 3D
- 4 months of reliable protection – our flea collar made with natural ingredients provides effective flea and worm prevention
- Against 11 species of parasites - protects your pet from ticks, fleas, worms etc.
- 2-in-1 – the best alternative to oral tablets against worms (hookworms, roundworms, ear mites and other
- German Formula developed by vets leaves no chance for insects and takes good care of the health of your pet
- Easy to use: the collar is perfect for cats and small dog breeds
This is the best flea and tick collar for dogs. Using new German technology, the collar will protect against fleas, ticks, and worms. It is waterproof and considered safe. It is important to note that none of the collars using chemicals are as safe as the natural collars. If safety is your primary concern, then go natural.
However, this collar is one of the highest rated flea and tick collars on Amazon.
4. Primova Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
- Hassle-Free Dog Flea & Tick Control - Our flea collar for dogs is specially formulated to keep nasty fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, and other 500 insect species off your pup. You won’t have to worry about puppy ticks and fleas during walks.
- Powered by 5 Essential Oils - Enhanced with a selection of 5 natural and pure essential oils, our flea collar for dogs has zero harmful chemicals that could be harmful to your pooch. It’s gentle on your pup’s skin, but potent in keeping fleas off.
- Long Lasting Protection - Our flea and tick collars are made with durable materials to keep your pooch protected even during rough plays. These collar for dogs can keep your pup protected from fleas and insects for 8 months.
- Adjustable for Big and Small Dogs - With 25 inches of collar length, our dog flea collar can be adjusted and trimmed to perfectly fit your pup. This flea and tick collar for dogs is made to cater all pooch sizes.
- Keeps Your Pup Happy and Healthy - We made our flea collars with potent essential oils to make sure your dogs are safe from insects and nasties. Play and explore more places to create valuable memories, instead of worrying about ticks!
Here is another highly rated natural product. It is long lasting offering 8 months of protection. Since it is natural, it is safe, hypoallergenic, and waterproof.
Unlike many others, it does not use citronella. Instead, there is a mixture of peppermint, lemongrass, clove, thyme, and castor oils.
Here is a typical review from Amazon.
This collar was the perfect antidote to summer in a woodsy Northeast area, rife with ticks!
It was easy to adjust the size, smelled pleasant, and stayed on/remained effective jumping in and out of water.
We use this alongside a topical, natural anti-tick essential oil spray, and our Pug had only one tick on her all summer—and it didn’t get a chance to feed on her!
We didn’t want to use toxic Frontline or other pharmaceutical options on our dog—we’ve learned from other small dog owners they can overwhelm.
Will definitely buy again—for ease and peace of mind! Wish they made one for humans!
Collars that are no longer recommended
We used to recommend the following collars. However, there are new collars on the market that we think work better. So, while these are still good collars, we prefer the collars listed above.
1. OnMog Dogs Flea and Tick Collar
2. Goraul Dog Flea and Tick Collar
3. Hartz Ultraguard Flea and Tick Collar
4. The Mozart Flea and Tick Collar
If you really want your dog to be free of fleas and ticks with the best flea and tick collar, use the Lordddon collar. It is completely natural and very effective.