Choosing the Best Flea Collar
Fleas are the worst. And choosing the best flea collar is your most cost-effective line of defense against these annoying insects!
I learned a valuable lesson about fleas when a mama raccoon had babies in our heating vent – which blew fleas through our heater all over the house. Every one of us was miserable! Preventing fleas is an absolute must when it comes to dog ownership. And flea collars are the easiest and cheapest way to manage the problem. You also get the benefit of preventing ticks. I exhaustively researched the topic to help you learn about flea collars so you can make the best decision.
If you are the “let’s get to the point” type of person – the best flea collar is the Bayer Seresto for dogs over 18lbs. For smaller dogs and puppies, my first choice is this Bayer Seresto. You should also look at the best flea shampoos for dogs.
How Do Flea Collars Work?
There are two types of flea collars – a “kill the flea” type and a “repel the flea” type. I think the best flea collar kills the fleas. Let me explain….
The “repel the flea” variety emits a smell/gas/odor that the fleas do not like. They are very effective, especially in the area around the collar. For this type, the flea collar is less effective further away from the collar.
The “kill the flea” is absorbed into the dogs’ skin. Then, when the dog is bitten by the flea, it dies. While the dog will get bitten, the fleas will not reproduce, which is what causes the major problems. These collars have a major advantage because there is no safe zone for the fleas. Even at the very end of the tail, the fleas will die once they bite the skin.
Please do not use a flea collar on your dog if you are treating them with a topical or oral flea treatment! This can harm the dog!
Do Flea Collars Actually Work?
Absolutely, the better flea collars are extremely safe and very effective at preventing fleas. In recent years, many people have switched over to spot skin treatments or oral pills to prevent fleas. These are also good options, but the are expensive. On the other hand, there are flea collars. They are extremely easy to use and less expensive than other flea prevention options. If you are trying to save money, flea collars are absolutely the best option.
Just make sure you pick a good collar and you will be happy with the results.
What Do You Need In A Flea Collar?
Honestly, there are way too many flea collars to choose from. There are four key factors that you really need to consider. Most of the other factors are fairly similar among the varying brands of flea collars.
What is the active ingredient? There are a few I would recommend staying away from. The first one is Propoxur. This is not safe for human handling, and I, therefore, recommend avoiding it. The other is Tetrachlorvinphos . This is a known carcinogen, and should be avoided.
Odor or Odorless? You want to make sure you do not smell the collar. This will quickly cause you to go nuts. In my home, we have a zero tolerance for the smell in flea collars, I recommend you do the same.
Waterproof. If you want the best flea collar, you want a waterproof flea collar. Things happen and dogs get wet. There is no sense buying a collar that is affected by water.
Effectiveness. This may seem obvious, but there are many collars that are getting terrible reviews from consumers. While I prefer Natural products, the reality is that they are less effective. This is especially true for larger dogs. The natural collars leave their backside fairly unprotected.
Can My Dog Swim and Bath with a Flea Collar?
Most flea and tick collars are water resistant or water repellent. I personally recommend taking them off for baths especially. If your dog loves to swim, I also recommend pulling it off. The water-resistant collars are really designed for an occasional rain shower while out on a walk.
Can My Dog Sleep in Bed While Wearing the Flea Collar?
No. Your dog should not be sleeping in bed with you while wearing this collar. Almost every one of these collars recommends against it, and I do as well. This brings up another issue, which is, “should your dog be sleeping in your bed?” If you are having any behavior problems, I highly recommend against this.
The Best Flea Collars
1. Lordddon flea and tick prevention collar
- PREVENT ALLERGIC REACTIONS ON YOUR PET'S SKIN: With saw-like teeth to keep it in place, the dog flea collar is sturdy and long-lasting. The natural formula of the flea collar for dogs makes it completely safe for your pet. With active ingredients that spread using the dog's natural skin oils, the dog flea and tick collar will keep away harmful insects.
- ENSURE YOUR DOG'S COMFORT AND HEALTH: Designed to fit cats and dogs of all sizes, the flea medicine for cats and dogs will save them from itchiness and severe scratching. Wearing the LORDDDON preventative tick collar, you lower the risk of your pet developing bad rashes which can lead to various infections and diseases.
- PROTECT YOUR HOME FROM INFESTATION: The tick collar for dogs and cats will stop the flea and tick invasion your dog may bring into your house. The flea and tick prevention for cats will keep your dogs and cats healthy and stop fleas from getting inside your home, on your furniture, and in your bedding.
- 8 MONTHS OF 24/7 PROTECTION AGAINST PESTS: Easy to apply, the 8-month flea collar for dogs will repel and kill fleas, ticks and other insects on contact. Quite effective and cleverly-designed, the LORDDDON flea tick collar constantly releases its active ingredients. Water resistant, your pet can safely enjoy his bathtime play.
- ADJUST THE LENGTH IN NO TIME: A one-size fits all, cut to size large dog flea collar, you can easily trim the excess off. The flea collar for dogs will fit dogs ranging in size from small puppies 7 weeks old to larger dog breeds and cats. Ideal for growing pets, you only need to check the puppy flea collar periodically and adjust the fitting.
This is an all natural collar that has been very successful in repelling fleas and ticks. The active ingredient is 15% citronella, so this is a completely safe product.
For the first week or so, you will notice a fairly strong citronella smell. But it fades after about a week. The collar is durable, effective, safe, and inexpensive. This is a great choice.
2. The Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar
- Seresto large dog flea collar provides 8 months of continuous flea and tick prevention
- Bayer Seresto collar works through contact, killing and repelling fleas and ticks, so they don?t have to bite your dog to die
- Active ingredients imidacloprid and flumethrin are slowly and continuously released in low concentrations, spreading from head to toes, even the tail, over your dog?s coat and skin
- Seresto flea and tick dog collar also aids in the treatment and control of sarcoptic mange and kills lice
- Vet recommended flea and tick protection for dogs in a convenient, odorless, non greasy collar; no need for messy monthly treatments
I rate the Bayer Seresto as one of best dog collar for large dogs. If you have a puppy, then I recommend the Bayer Seresto puppy collar. It is well built, long lasting, and water resistant. This collar actually kills and repels fleas. This is the feature that I like most. You can spare your dog the pain of flea bites with the repellent, but also know that anything that breaks through the first barrier will be killed.
I especially like that the collar will last for a full 8 months, helping to offset the higher price. The active ingredient is considered to be safe for almost every dog. The collar releases the active ingredients in very low doses over a long period of time.
I would recommend caution if you have an elderly dog or one that is extremely sensitive.
3. The Best Flea Collar for Dogs – Rolf Club 3D
- 4 MONTHS OF PROTECTION - our ODORLESS flea collar helps your dog get rid of internal & external parasites and guarantees long-lasting protection from fleas and worms
- AGAINST 11 SPECIES OF PARASITES - this natural tick collar protects your pet from Uncinaria, Trichuris, Toxocara, etc. It's more effective than oral flea control (the result is seen in 48-72 h)
- EASY TO USE - we suggest 3 sizes of the flea and tick collar for a small puppy and for medium or large dogs. Choose the proper one and get the fast anti-flea and anti-worm prevention
- 2-in-1 - forget about expensive oral tablets against fleas and worms for your pet. We suggest a better alternative to it with an excellent tick treatment and a control of internal parasites
- SAFE - utilizing German technologies, our dog flea collar causes no harm to your pet but helps kill internal & external parasites. The WATERPROOF flea repellent works even after your dog gets wet
This is the best flea and tick collar for dogs. Using new German technology, the collar will protect against fleas, ticks, and worms. It is waterproof and considered safe. It is important to note that none of the collars using chemicals are as safe as the natural collars. If safety is your primary concern, then go natural.
However, this collar is one of the highest rated flea and tick collars on Amazon.
4. Primova Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
- FLEA AND TICK COLLAR FOR DOGS Our new 2019 flea and tick prevention collar for dogs enhanced with natural essential oils provides safe and effective protection against fleas and ticks for your dogs; Our formula repels fleas eggs, flea larvae, lice and mosquitoes giving long-lasting protection for 8 months
- SAFE AND HYPOALLERGENIC Our flea and tick collar for dogs is specifically made without harmful chemicals making it tolerable for all dogs, even those with sensitive skin; It slowly releases the active ingredients keeping your dog protected 24/7
- WATERPROOF Our flea and tick collar for dogs with natural essential oils is made with high quality, waterproof material makes it the perfect choice for every situation that your dog may encounter from exposure to rain or other activities such as swimming or weekly baths; It is the best mess-free, non-greasy flea and tick prevention for your dog that brings a pleasant citronella scent.
- EASILY ADJUSTABLE Our flea and tick collar for dogs comes with a newly designed reinforced buckle therefore no more worries about having the flea collar for dogs falling off; It is 25 inches (63.5 cm) long; It is a very easy-to-apply collar and can be worn with leash collars; Easily adjustable to fit small, medium and large size dogs
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE AND FREE FLEA COMB Our flea and tick collar for dogs are backed by our 30 days risk free money back guarantee; Simply, if you are not satisfied with your purchase you can contact us and we will refund your money no questions asked; Also, our flea and tick prevention collar for dogs allergy free with natural essential oils come with a FREE FLEA COMB to help you examine your dog's skin
Here is another highly rated natural product. It is long lasting offering 8 months of protection. Since it is natural, it is safe, hypoallergenic, and waterproof.
Unlike many others, it does not use citronella. Instead, there is a mixture of peppermint, lemongrass, clove, thyme, and castor oils.
Here is a typical review from Amazon.
This collar was the perfect antidote to summer in a woodsy Northeast area, rife with ticks!
It was easy to adjust the size, smelled pleasant, and stayed on/remained effective jumping in and out of water.
We use this alongside a topical, natural anti-tick essential oil spray, and our Pug had only one tick on her all summer—and it didn’t get a chance to feed on her!
We didn’t want to use toxic Frontline or other pharmaceutical options on our dog—we’ve learned from other small dog owners they can overwhelm.
Will definitely buy again—for ease and peace of mind! Wish they made one for humans!
Collars that are no longer recommended
We used to recommend the following collars. However, there are new collars on the market that we think work better. So, while these are still good collars, we prefer the collars listed above.
1. OnMog Dogs Flea and Tick Collar
2. Goraul Dog Flea and Tick Collar
3. Hartz Ultraguard Flea and Tick Collar
4. The Mozart Flea and Tick Collar
If you really want your dog to be free of fleas and ticks with the best flea and tick collar, use the Lordddon collar. It is completely natural and very effective.